A A A

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Basic timeline Tuesday morning 27th June 1995
May 11, 2009
5:53 am
sixtiesrock
Guests
May 11, 2009
5:57 am
sixtiesrock
Guests
May 13, 2009
8:09 pm
Greg-in-Florida
Guests

Hi everyone:

I have some nagging questions/comments about the morning of June 27, 1995, that have ALWAYS bothered me. The first one: I don't mean to insinuate blame on anyone by asking this, but: WHY IN THE WORLD would Jodi's co-workers wait until AFTER the morning news show to call the police?

I know it's been said no one st the station never imagined what could have happened to her, and I believe that. But, on the other hand, it has also been stated that Jodi did speak of her fear of being followed. She told some co-workers and discussed what might happen if someone attacked her or another staffer during the early morning hours---(I got this from the "20/20" report by Elizabeth Vargas.)

I know TV news is a busy venture, but I can't understand waiting until after the newscast. I often wonder if calling the police earlier could have helped find Jodi before harm came to her.

Another comment: I worked in TV news. I worked as an anchor. Had I habitually arrived late (I worked in a small market, too), and allowed my producer/co-workers to do most of my job, I would have been fired. Friends in the TV business are rare, and I am sure someone would rat on me to the boss the FIRST time I did it. I find it hard to believe that Jodi, who seemed to love TV so much from what I've learned about her, would be so cavalier about her job duties. Could her propensity to be "late" mean that sometimes she was there at 3, sometimes at 3:30? If so, this is not a big deal. Sometimes it seems that Jodi is made to sound as though she didn't really put that much importance on punctuality, and I'll never believe that.

One last thing: How could the person (people) at the apartment complex that morning who heard screams and a lady saying, "No, please don't," how could they just ignore that and go back to sleep? Also, did others who left early in the morning (and I'm sure other residents of the complex had early morning jobs) find it odd that personal items were strewn across a parking lot? I know that in the dark that they might not have seen it, but at sunrise, come on. I would call the police if I saw that. I've never been to Mason City, but I'm gathering it's a small, quiet, pretty, family-oriented place that doesn't have a high crime rate. Therefore, I'd think screams and strewn belongings would certainly merit some citizen action.

I apologize if this comes off judgmental; I know I shouldn't judge. However, these things have always really haunted me about the case. Please know I mean no disrespect to anyone. But I know you guys like to share ideas, and I wanted to throw mine out for your feedback.

June 9, 2009
3:10 pm
Greg-in-Florida
Guests

Hey guys... if anybody has any ideas or comments about what I wrote about the timeline, I'd still love to hear from you. This is a very intellectual forum, and I'm interested if anybody has any feedback.

June 10, 2009
10:22 am
vinny
Guests

Greg;

About point one: If you even forget the what if scenario about if they were to be abducted, I have a hard time believing that that small newsroom would not know Jodi called the police and was given protection no matter how briefly, because she was ACTUALLY being followed and feared for her safety. Waiting hours was almost borderline criminal. Just knowing those facts would bother me to this day about the lack of action in that newsroom.

As to the neighbors, as incredible as this may seem it has happened before. One of the most publicized cases was back in the late 50's early 60's, a woman in NYC was being knifed to death and with quite a number of people who actually witnessed what was happening from their apartment windows down to the alley failed to call the police. When questioned later those same people stated the victim had no business being out at 2:AM. I'm sure some had nightmares about why they didn't act, but not wanting to get involved makes people do some strange things.

If any of those people who may have heard a scream and the name called out please give it to the tip line, it just may open up this case. We will never know what the tip is that will lead to solving this case, If any human beings with a conscience who knows details of what happened to Jodi, which may haunt you to this day, now is your chance to act. USE THE TIP LINE!.

I agree with you, Jodi appeared to be to goal oriented to be late that consistently. Unlike you, I never worked in a newsroom but professional jealousy would have sealed her fate if she was as late as they stated in the clip.

June 10, 2009
10:47 am
Gary
Guests

Good points!! Looking back at her handwritten diary there is a reference on May 15,1994 that stated; "Get into work @ 2:45/3:00. No snoozing." Somewhere along the line she realized or someone told her that she was late for work on occasion and she set that time to be at the station.

There were also references to being "on the set" and reading through scripts for 15 minutes. This again is an indication she knew she needed to proof read the scripts or someone told her. Maybe her social life was getting in the way of her job and she was trying to change it.

As a former News Director I know there are occasions when anchors are late to work, (as is everyone else.) This gets to be a problem very fast with your co-workers because they end up doing their job plus tasks of other people. The star qualities don't gain a foothold in small market TV stations even though some people think so. The mature anchors know their job and know how to work with other people that also know their jobs and responsibilities.

If I would have had an anchor that was continually late I would have a sit down visit with that person and discuss the problem. When we interviewed Doug Merbach it didn't sound like he was aware that Jodi was late on occasion.

The first call from Amy sounded appropriate and then the second where the answering machine picked up. Now you're into crunch time and you have a show going on in just a few minutes so it would have been natural to think morning show and "I have to fill in."

Amy was tied up but maybe someone else could have made the call. Purely speculation but I understand the pressures of a news room and how somethings get "lost in the shuffle."

As for the parking lot debris, it amazes me that other residents coming out of the building and crossing the parking lot did not notice the evidence on the ground. Surely someone went to work before 7 a.m. that could have made a call when they see hair dryers, bags, shoes, etc.

Your thoughts on the witnesses is well taken. It seems as though someone would look out the window when they heard screams especially those people close to the door and near her car.

Also does anyone know where Jodi bought her car?

June 10, 2009
6:35 pm
vinny
Guests

Gary I do know where she bought her car speak with The Cat.

June 11, 2009
8:46 am
Greg-in-Florida
Guests

Vinny & Gary,

Thanks so much for the responses. I always enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

Vinny, it is sad that so many people don't want to get involved, even if they are potential witnesses to something life threatening. Gary, you make good points, too, about the newsroom environment and its endless stressors.

Thanks again, Vinny and Gary, for taking time to respond.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 401

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 365

Members: 2049

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats: